Size of paper for sketches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Size of paper for sketches

Post  Bov on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 pm

hey guys

this year will be the first year ill be taking a portfolio and paper to collect sketches and im trying to decide on A3 or A4 for the paper i shall take

i was wondering what you guys take and if theres a prefered paper size by the artists themselves

Bov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Size of paper for sketches

Post  Harry on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:17 pm

When it comes down to paper size, it depends. Some artists do not care at all. With some they find A3 a bit large. Most guys use a format between A4 and A3. The thing with large paper is also: if you are lucky you get a bigger sketch. However, if the artist sketches always in the same size you have a skecth which looks a bit lost on A3 with all that white space around it. Personally I always hate to stand in line behind someone with huge portfolios.

Harry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AlanH on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:57 am

There are a number of moving parts here but I've seen sketches on everything from business cards up to A3 paper.

It comes down to a number of different questions -

1) What are you willing to carry?? - an A4 book fits into a carrier bag while A3 really needs an artist portfolio case to keep things flat

2) What are you willing to pay?? - the more ink you ask an artist to use the more they may charge you. I can think of one artist who goes 10 for A4 and you get a head shot but it's 25 for A3 and you get a full body shot with lots of detail - both are worth the money for the effort he puts in, but what are you looking for.

Which leads to perhaps the biggest question

3) What do you want a sketch of?? - does the character work as head shot alone or do you need to see a full costume. I have a personal view on this as I like to collect my sketches in themes.

A real alternate is to use one A3 page and get lots of different artists to work on it i.e. if you like the X-men why not get each artist to draw a member filling the page up or perhaps you'd like an art "jam" by everyone you can get - there are a number of examples over on www.comicartfans.com

AlanH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  abarron on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 am

I have a sketch book that i take with me and its about A4.
Its a pretty decent size

abarron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bov on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 pm

thank you for your advice guys =)

its all realy usefull info

i think il go with A4 and get some realy nice paper and a protective follio

i realy like the idea of a a3 super team, i would love to see that with the JSA and JLA or avengers all the individual characters done by the different artists =)
thats something that i would have framed, but i think thats something ill do after collecting some individual sketches

thanks guys

Bov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

woohoo

Post  victoertom on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 am

I got it .It's pretty easy to understand.
Thanks.brautundabendkleider.com

victoertom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top